NOTE: Read below to enter the contest to win a copy of the Bourne Trilogy on Blu-Ray or DVD! Contest closes Friday, January 15th, 2010 at 11:59pm.
I had a negative comment on the blog from a new reader about a recent sponsored blog post. A sponsored blog post means that someone has paid for a link within the post to a certain website (these links make their websites rank higher in search engine results). I thought I would take the opportunity to explain my position on advertisements on the website, and also institute a new policy I was thinking about for a few weeks.
The reader was upset that the sponsored blog post (on Car Insurance) was not indicated as being paid for by a third party. I think they understand that many blogs run ads to help cover the costs of running a website and also to pocket a side income, but they just wanted a heads up when the ads start intruding more into the main content. I understand and partially agree. I actually didn’t mean to publish that post until the weekend and until after I had explained my new policy on ads (which would’ve given the appropriate indication), but I was working on a mobile device that I was unfamiliar with and didn’t realize I had published it as opposed to saving it in draft mode. In any case… here is the new policy which you need to know:
I get inundated with companies who want to advertise on the site. So what I’ve decided to do is run sponsored posts on the weekends (published either Friday or Saturday nights and they would arrive on Saturday or Sunday morning if delivered by email). This way you’ll know ahead of time if they are sponsored posts. BUT I’m also going to use part of the proceeds to run more contests. That way, the readers may benefit from it too. For example, part of the proceeds for the sponsored post on Car Insurance that ran yesterday will go to fund the prize for the following contest:
Win a copy of the Bourne Trilogy on Blu-Ray or DVD
This includes The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum – three of my most favourite movies! :)
All you have to do to enter is leave a comment below. You can leave any comment you want, but if you would like to weigh in on whether or not you like the proposal of running sponsored posts on weekends in exchange for more contests, I’ll take the comments into consideration and if everyone thinks it’s a bad idea I may discontinue the practice. Full contest details are below the video (which is a promo for the Bourne Trilogy on Blu-Ray). If you are reading this via email or on a feed reader, you will have to visit the website to see the video.
- You may earn one entry by leaving a comment at the bottom of this post on the website.
- I reserve the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate.
- You must submit a valid email address in the comment form. Don’t worry, it will not be visible to anyone but myself and it will never be shared or sold to anyone either.
- Winner must answer a skill testing question.
- Comments must be submitted by 11:59pm on Friday, January 15th, 2010.
- Winners will be contacted using the email address provided only, and will have exactly one week from that point of contact to provide their full contact details in order to claim their prize.
- I reserve the right to disqualify any entries for any reason.